intro



Our blog is a communal place for vegebees to get together, vegetarian, vegan or veggie lovin' meat eaters alike to share ideas, information and experiences on how we can 'bee green'!

From recipes, cafe and restaurant reviews, to product reviews and ideas on how to live better, simpler, more eco friendly and more...green.

We live, work and drink tea in Manchester, and we will review places in and around the area, but also on our travels. Let us know if there's any places or products you think we should know about - we'd love to hear from you!

Email | Twitter | Facebook

Friday 3 August 2012

Soy Green Tea Ice Cream

I've rediscovered my ice cream maker this summer and have been playing about with a few recipes, but lately I've been reminiscing about my trip to Thailand last summer, so I've had a go at recreating some of my favourite flavours out there. (Incidentally, it's iced green tea latte - with the green tea pulled like a shot of espresso over ice, topped off with condensed milk - and cartons of soy milk that I'm talking about. Perfect in the heat.) I've adapted the recipe from an American site, but I think after tasting it I got the measurements pretty much right.

Ingredients
500ml soy milk (I used sweetened, and would probably recommend it against the sharpness of the green tea here, but you could easily go for unsweetened instead)
500ml soy cream
2tbsp arrowroot powder
2tbsp matcha powder
170g caster sugar

Method
1. Using about 125ml of the soy milk, whisk in a bowl with the arrowroot powder. Add the matcha powder, and continue whisking until you get a smooth, quite thick green paste.
2. Pour the rest of the soy milk into a large(ish) saucepan, and add the cream and sugar.
3. Over a medium-low heat (i.e. don't get all impatient like I was tempted to!), bring the mixture to the boil, stirring with a whisk occasionally. When the mixture starts to boil, take it off the heat.
4. Add the matcha mixture into the saucepan, whisk it all together. It should start to thicken up a bit.
5. Leave to cool for a while, then when cool enough, put in fridge for a few hours.
6. Transfer mixture to ice cream maker and freeze "according to manufacturer's instructions" (I love how that exact phrase is used EVERYWHERE in ice cream recipes!) - mine took about 50mins (slightly longer than a usual batch of ice cream would take).

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment